Monday, 31 January 2022
  3 Replies
  1K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe

Here´s my image of the horsehead nebula from the quite decent Pier 1 dataset.

As you can easily see the stars tend to get into a rectangular shape, and I wonder why.

I did not use any macros or "black box" processes steps, but mainly graduation curves.

While I observe this effect in some of my images now I´ll ask for your support:

- do you have any idea why this happens so I can avoid it to happen?

- do you have any idea on how to fix this and get the stars back to the round shape they belong to?

I´m suspicious it could appear when overdoing the bright adoption in the graduation curves?

Thx for your input,

CS Martin

Attachments (1)
2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Martin,

That is a pretty decent image of B33 itself. Alnitak is obviously causing glare.

As to the star shape problem. What processing software are you using?

2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Martin,

That is a pretty decent image of B33 itself. Alnitak is obviously causing glare.

As to the star shape problem. What processing software are you using?

I did stacking, integration and image processing all in Affinity Photo.

Only used plenty of graduation curves and high pass frequency filter for details and denoise in the end. Partially with masks, but nothing weird / black box macros or similar...

But taking a look at the lightframes and the single channel stacked images I already do see a tendenca for square stars there...

Votes
Undo

Hello Martin, 

That's a very nice colour rendition. Having only just started going through the recent images again, maybe I've come across your question a bit late. Anyway... 

I have also encountered this problem but as yet have not come up with a definitive explanation as to what causes it. My only thought is that it might have been clipping of the white point, and as a result there is insufficient differentiation between the outer star pixels to give the appearance of roundness. Probably not the right answer. 

Providing that there were only a reasonable number, I did find a partial remedy using Photoshop. This may also be available in other processing packages. After carefully selecting the star, I chose the 'distort' filter option and within that 'spherize'. By carefully adjusting the slider to a negative value the star begins to appear a bit less square. This may not work in all circumstances as doing this may introduce other undesirable effects

If you haven't already tried to fix it, I hope this will help. 

Cheers and CS, 

Ray 

Ray
Roboscopes Guinea Pig

• Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!
Submit Your Response

Follow Us

Newsletter

Proud to use

• FLI

• 656 Imaging

• 10 Micron

• Planewave

• ZWO

Company Details:

Roboscopes

802 Kingsbury Road