Latest Announcement: On Going Site Upgrades & Data Sharing View Post
  Tuesday, 16 November 2021
  19 Replies
  413 Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
Morning all

We are still waiting for ZWO to bring out new cameras featuring the 4/3rds sensor and to date they do not seem to be any closer :(

I have been talking to them behind the scenes and it seems the ZWO ASI 294MM Pro can be binned 2x2 3x3 and 4x4 so we could swap out for this camera on the next visit.

The pixels are slightly larger than the 1600 @ 4.63um but the sensitivity goes up from 60% to 90%

So you thoughts on this would be appreciated ?

Steve

Please ignore my dylexia wherever possible, just be thankful I can control my Tourettes ;)

Things to do, so little time!

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I ve got a 294MM
by default the binning is on 2 on the drivers as the bin 1 mode was released a few time after 
so by default it is a bin 2 4000x2600 , 4.30um pixe 

in bin 1 mod it is a 8000x5600 cam, 2.3um pixe

i m very please of using it at bin 1 mod with a 600mm focal.  it make a 0.8res.  Noise is very low a G130 / O20  

i try some time to work at bin2 but noise is rising i found and i prefer to stick to bin 1 

it is a very nice cam , Amp glow is well calibrated if you take dark with the exact parameter of light , if not , it is very present 
2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Awesome :)

We will most likely have to use it at 3x3 binned  to use it at 1700mm Focal length on pier 1

Cheers

Steve

Please ignore my dylexia wherever possible, just be thankful I can control my Tourettes ;)

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
i dont know if it function at bin3 , i will let it at bin2 so you have full well 
2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Actually rather than me relying on ZWO to answer I would rather be a 10000% sure and ask if you would kindly test your camera for me in Bin modes 3x3 and 4x4 please :)

According to ZWO the camera will work fine in both modes ?

Hoping you can help

Steve

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I can test but only with dark as since 2 weeks there is cloud every single second of night time !¡!!!!!!!!!!
2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I don't need pretty pictures as such, just need to know that it will take Lights, and darks frames successfully at bin 3x3 and 4x4

Even cloud pictures or inside of dome pictures will be fine LOL

If it works then I will order the camera and upgrade Pier-1 on the next visit but I don't want to buy a camera to find it is useless for long focal lengths and thanks for your help

Cheers

Steve

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
i ve zip some test files ,   BIN1 to BIN4 dark of 5s
and some flats as it is raining outside :) 

what email can i send you a link ? 
2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Awesome thank you

info@roboscopes.com

if you can please 

cheers

steve

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
just sent  !
2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Just downloading now, thanks for doing this for me :)

Steve

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I strong suggest we use Bin2 instead of Bin3.

This is the few CMOS camera that actually has hardware binning. Bin2 actually uses ADC of 14bit and Bin1 is 12bit. As a consequence, Bin2 has 13 stops dynamic range DR (in 0 and unity gain) and Bin1 mode only has 11 stop DR.

Since Bin3 needs to bin smaller pixel of the Bin1 (3x3), I would say it's also using the sampling of the 12 bit ADC, thus resulting a lower DR and worse image quality.

Steve, I think we should test the DR of Bin3 mode before we use it.
2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Yes I need to think long and hard 

the only issue for me with 2x2 binning is it’s only 4.63um pixels which is way to small for 1700mm focal length and would mean serious over sampling for our location 

steve

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I strong suggest we use Bin2 instead of Bin3.

This is the few CMOS camera that actually has hardware binning. Bin2 actually uses ADC of 14bit and Bin1 is 12bit. As a consequence, Bin2 has 13 stops dynamic range DR (in 0 and unity gain) and Bin1 mode only has 11 stop DR.

Since Bin3 needs to bin smaller pixel of the Bin1 (3x3), I would say it's also using the sampling of the 12 bit ADC, thus resulting a lower DR and worse image quality.

Steve, I think we should test the DR of Bin3 mode before we use it.

Can you test the bin3 dynamic range from home on the next clear night ?

Cheers

Steve

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I hope I can but I live in Pacific Northwest. At this time of the year we have almost no clear night ;)
2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Agreed but you have fantastic scenery and some huge trees :)

Its been a long time since I was last there, you are very lucky

Steve

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Cant complain about the scenery.
I have a 3-hour window of clear sky, will try to capture some bin3 shots.
2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I have got a confirmation from ZWO that Bin3 is based on Bin1 with 12-bit ADC. So no dual gain and less DR
Votes
Undo
Every forum has one!

I'd prefer to wait for a replacement with very similar specs. :(  This would probably allow more time before restarting the merry-go-round of minor but annoying initial startup issues.

Sorry Steve but if it's now fixed then why change it. Should we subsequently wish to collect more data on something we've imaged now, we'd end up with new data that would not be directly compatible in terms of image scale and fov. Not a major issue admittedly. 

Cheers 

Ray 

Ray
Roboscopes Guinea Pig

• Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!

Follow Us

Newsletter

Proud to use

• FLI

• 656 Imaging

• 10 Micron

• Planewave

• ZWO

Company Details:

Roboscopes

802 Kingsbury Road
Birmingham