FIrst LRGB run, Blue is out 180 degrees

• jeffpadell
  • jeffpadell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Roboscopes User
  • Thank you received: 0
  • Silver Member

Replied by jeffpadell on topic FIrst LRGB run, Blue is out 180 degrees

I figured out why I got the hot pixels showing.  With Nebulosity 4 I needed to do a second alignment with the standard deviation which takes out the "wandering" pixels

Here is my second processing run on my 1 hour imaging run of the Horsehead
26 Jan 2021 00:19
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Asatron
  • The Tea Boy
  • The Tea Boy
  • Thank you received: 18

Replied by Asatron on topic FIrst LRGB run, Blue is out 180 degrees

Getting there, it takes practice practise and more practise as well as asking advise and reading to of stuff.

An enjoyable curse is astro imaging :)
Please ignore my dylexia wherever possible, just be thankful I can control my Tourettes ;)
26 Jan 2021 09:33

• jeffpadell
  • Roboscopes User
  • Silver Member

That is why it is a rabbit hole!
26 Jan 2021 12:04

• NoMoreCloudyNights
  • Roboscopes User
  • Thank you received: 14
  • Gold Member

Replied by NoMoreCloudyNights on topic FIrst LRGB run, Blue is out 180 degrees

Hi Jeff, 

What a transformation, very nice for such a short imaging run. I see you took the wise option for now to crop out that bright star Alnitak. On the original there was a broad vertical line, did that disappear. 

I apologise for my not making my original explanation very clear regarding the stacking algorithm. The app I use to align and stack my images has 2 separate processes. There is an alignment and a stacking one. In Nebulosity from memory, it uses one that combines the 2. Selecting any alignment apart from none at all is for aligning the frames with several methods to choose from. When you select no alignment, for stacking either aligned frames or calibration frames, a choice of stacking algorithms becomes accessible. There are average or a range of Std Dev values depending on, I believe, the number of frames you are stacking. This is what removed those remaining hot pixels as they were in different pixel coordinates in each of the frames. I did not make that clear as I have now reread my original post, sorry. 
26 Jan 2021 12:49

• jeffpadell
  • Roboscopes User
  • Silver Member

The broad line was taken out in Photoshop with the healing brush.

Yes I reread the manual on Nebulosity and realized that I had to first to the Alignment  (I do it with rotation, depending on scope) and save each file, then run it a second time for each type of sub L R G B etc saving to a single file but WITH Std Dev and then it runs automatically and you can see the hot pixels move around!  What a difference

Still having some issues with the stars ringing but I am sure that is my processing between Nebulosity and StarTools.

I wonder how many more hours of scope time to get a good image, maybe with filters...
26 Jan 2021 12:59

• Asatron
  • The Tea Boy
  • The Tea Boy
  • Thank you received: 18

Replied by Asatron on topic FIrst LRGB run, Blue is out 180 degrees

As important as more good quality data is

The basic skills and learning the ropes to develop a good work flow that in turn gives you a processing foundation is more important in my opinion. I know many imagers with relatively basic equipment and poor Skies who produce stunning images because they have very good image manipulation skills.

Its a little like Golf, buying new clubs will not improve your game, but playing more golf, practice and tuition/advice will go a long long way :)

there are a good few helpful people on here plus plenty of great videos online :)
Please ignore my dylexia wherever possible, just be thankful I can control my Tourettes ;)
26 Jan 2021 13:07

• jeffpadell
  • Roboscopes User
  • Silver Member

you nailed it!  Especially the golf metaphor, I used to play college golf and practiced 7 days a week and played 5-6 times a week, although never got better than an 8 handicap but I loved it
26 Jan 2021 13:18

Follow Us

Newsletter

Proud to use

FLI
656 Imaging
Planewave
10 Micron
ZWO

Company Details:

Roboscopes

802 Kingsbury Road
Birmingham